All SLC Writing Workshops are recognized regarding the Co-Curricular Record (CCR), the official University document that tracks students’ co-curricular involvement at SFU. find out about the Co-Curricular Record.
Our most popular workshops (according to recent attendance and faculty requests for course integrated workshops) are indicated with an asterisk.
Note : Are you a program or professor leader thinking about requesting a writing workshop for the course or group? Fill in our survey to place your request. With sufficient notice, you can easily request some of the workshops below or a combination of topics customized to meet up your students’ needs.
Academic Writing Refresher
This workshop offers a quick breakdown of strategies and skills for successful writing, with returning/ transfer/ mature students in your mind.
- Gain an awareness of strategies and skills that support successful writing that is academic
- Be encouraged to ask questions to demystify expectations around academic writing;
- Reconnect with writing best practices;
- Learn where to find support throughout the writing process.
Academic Writing Q&A. or Top what to Know About Academic Writing
this session that is 50-minute the very best 5 things most useful to learn about academic writing. The rest of the session is specialized in answering your burning best paper writing services questions (regardless of how basic or complex) about academic writing and writing when you look at the disciplines. People investing in the marijuana industry in states with legal markets are taking risks, risks created by the clash with federal law and the uncertainty and operational difficulties that this clash has produced (such as lack of access to the banking system and the lack of trademark protections). So keep that in mind when choosing your next strain. A small nook to the right of the retail area houses the merch corner, where customers can find limited-edition Leaf Expert ( leaf.expert ) clothing, weed paraphernalia, accessories, and can even get Leaf Expert ( leaf.expert ) vape pens engraved with different designs or their initials. High Costs Cannabis Awareness Program Is Helping Reduce Underage Use Colorado’s cannabis laws earmark a portion of marijuana (read) tax revenue for drug awareness and outreach programs for young people. Y el 10 por ciento dijo que el marijuana redujo su ansiedad. You’ll take some answers away, including how to locate more help when you need it!
- Learn about the qualities unique to writing that is academic a genre;
- Have the opportunity to dispel some misunderstandings about academic writing;
- Feel more confident by what writing that is academic and what it’s not;
- Know the best place to find more help when it is needed by you.
Analyze This! From Summary to Critical Writing*
are you asked to publish a analysis that is critical aren’t sure how to overcome it? Each discipline has its own requirements that are own however some common strategies can really help. This workshop begins with a refresher about effective reading and summarizing, then helps guide you to use critical questions to assist you to transition from summary to analysis.
- Gain an awareness of common techniques for approaching critical analysis which are transferable across disciplines;
- Learn how to differentiate between summarizing, paraphrasing, and critical analysis and understand the value of each in academic writing;
- Know the way critical questions can be used to transition from summary to analysis.
Hot methods for Revising*
Congratulations–you’ve drafted your paper! What exactly is next? This workshop overviews a technique of revising concerns that are higher-order then looking at the finer details of your piece. You will also find out about common errors that can trip up even strong writers.
- Distinguish between Higher and Lower Order writing concerns;
- Learn revision strategies which help you focus on higher order concerns first;
- Gain insight into common kinds of writing errors and learn how to spot them in your own writing.
How exactly to Argue Academically*
Effective argumentation is a core requirement of many writing assignments across the disciplines. Yet students are often unsure simple tips to write an obvious and compelling academic argument. It isn’t the same as arguing along with your partner or your parents! In this 50-minute session, learn the particular rules governing academic argument as well as tips for developing and defending a great argument in your written assignments.
- Gain insight into the components of a powerful academic argument;
- Discover ways to develop an academic argument;
- Understand the requirement to guard an academic argument with information gleaned from research sources;
- Distinguish between academic argumentation along with other genres of academic writing.
Better Paragraphs: Strengthening Argument and Organization*
Clear, well-developed paragraphs generally have a certain collection of characteristics, and you can learn what those characteristics are in order to strengthen your writing! In this workshop, learn more effective how to begin your paragraphs, create better flow, and give a wide berth to common paragraph errors. Strengthening your paragraphs also really helps to provide an overall feeling of organization in your writing and make certain that your arguments are obvious and well-supported.
- Gain an understanding of the characteristics shared by clear, well-developed paragraphs;
- Find out about the connection between strong paragraphs and overall flow, clarity, and argumentation;
- Understand the role of paragraphs whilst the “building blocks” of academic writing;
- Have the ability to draft and revise paragraphs more effectively for clarity.
Structuring Ideas Through Grammar
Improve your writing by learning how different choices that are grammatical help you present and build your ideas. Students ought to bring copy of a paper they are currently focusing on to apply the processes to their own writing.
Uncluttering your Prose
“Too wordy. Redundant. Be concise.” If you have ever received most of these comments on your own papers–or if you would like to take your style into the next level–this workshop is for you personally! Learn techniques you can use straight away that will help you pare your prose and write with greater clarity, succinctness, and power.
- Gain an understanding of concise writing;
- Learn practical approaches for revising your own personal writing, with a particular increased exposure of concision;
- Make connections between concision and clarity in your writing.
Using Sources in Your Paper?*
You’ve likely reviewed the Library’s plagiarism tutorial. Do you want to find out more about using source-materials effectively and ethically in your writing? This 50 minute workshop covers integrating sources within paragraphs, clearly attributing what you quote and paraphrase, and resources that are finding assistance with particular citation styles.
- Gain an awareness of methods to effectively and ethically use source-materials in academic writing;
- Learn strategies to clearly attribute materials that you may be quoting or paraphrasing;
- Gain understanding of choices for integrating source materials within paragraphs;
- Be able to find resources for making use of a range of citation styles.
First, they suggest that increasing the availability of legal cannabis is benefitting people with chronic pain who are turning to cannabis to either alleviate pain and/or reduce their opioid use. In six of those nine states, weed got more votes than Trump. As one of the largest and most-trusted weed companies in North America, Leaf Expert is driving the most profound shift in human well-being — ever. Dante JordanApril 20, 2020 (CSA-Archive/iStock) I’ve never been the type of person to broadcast my high in public, either due to the fact that I look high or because I smell strongly of cannabis. Synthetic marijuana is also an issue in United States jails.
Thank you for visiting Writing @ University!*
This 50 minute workshop offers you a chance to get a head start about what’s expected for successful writing that is academic. Read about resources to plan your assignment, create sound arguments, organize your ideas, edit your own writing more effectively–and find more help when it’s needed.
- Gain a knowledge of the expectations for successful academic writing;
- Find out about the entire process of writing from planning, through argument development, organization and drafting, most of the way to self-editing;
- Be encouraged to establish writing that is good;
- Be introduced to additional resources to give you support in your writing at university.